Friday, February 25, 2011

Dialect Response Cue- Chapter 4

Dialect Response Cue

Chapter 4

1. One question/comment/insight

I like the thought about how when people are listening to other's ideas, they are not just listening but actively putting in their ideas as well. By doing this, everyone is able to look at the issues at hand with multiple perspectives and deliberate to make it fair for everyone involved.

2. How does this relate to your student teaching experience?

One day, while preparing for Discovery Time, many of the students raised the issue of who was going to play in the kitchen area. Many of the students thought that it was unfair that the same students were in the kitchen everyday, which is the same issue my mentor and I were have a problem with. Instead of saying, "You 4 are not allowed to go in there today," my mentor and I decided to let the children take over the discussion. As the children started to talk, the ones who were always in the kitchen started to understand that they were always running to get into the kitchen. So not only did the discussion touch on the issue of fairness, but it also touched on the issue of safety. In the end, the children who were constantly in the kitchen were able to understand that they were being unfair, saying things like, "I didn't realize how many times we were in there," to, "I think that we need to make a compromise as a class about who gets to go in there," and they did. Those who were always in there said that they would not go in for the rest of the week, and everyone in the class said that they would only go in the kitchen once a week. I don't think that the children in the classroom would have completely understood the issues at stake here had my mentor teacher or I stepped in. It helped the students see from multiple points of view and understand some of life's challenges: There are times where you need to talk to others and really listen to their thoughts to make the best decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment